Quote: From Camper
“I fit in at camp more than anywhere else on earth. Camp is my heaven on earth”
Where we learn the true meaning of strength and courage and where smiles,hugs and laughter give hope to us all
What is Camp Discovery?
Camp Discovery is for young people ages 10-16 with a serious skin condition and offers a summer camping experience unlike any they’ve had before.
How much will it be for my child to attend Camp Discovery?
There is no fee for camp. Full scholarships including transportation, are provided by the American Academy of Dermatology through generous donations of its members and other organizations. Information on how to make airline reservations will be sent to you once we determine that your child is qualified to attend Camp Discovery.
How do I know if my child is qualified to attend Camp Discovery?
Eligibility is determined upon recommendation by the child’s dermatologist and approval by the Camp Discovery medical director. Please read about Camp Registration if you think your child might be a good candidate for camp. Acceptance forms and other paperwork will be mailed out by the American Academy of Dermatology once the registration deadline is reached.
Where is Camp Discovery held: There Is Currently Three Locations For Camp Discovery
1. Camp Knutson is located 160 miles north of Minneapolis/St. Paul and 30 miles north of Brainerd. The camp sits on a beautiful 30-acre peninsula of woodlands, surrounded by Trout and Lower Whitefish Lakes. Camp Knutson is a program of Lutheran Social Services of Minnesota that is dedicated to nurturing the well being of persons with special needs. Please read more about Camp Knutson.
2. Camp Horizon, located in Millville, PA is a 35-acre campsite featuring 10 sleeping cabins, a large mess hall, outdoor activity pavilions, a fishing and paddleboat pond, a low-ropes course, a pool and a fully equipped infirmary. Please read more about Camp Horizon.
3. Camp Dermadillo – Camp For All in Burton, Texas, located between Houston and Austin in the rolling hills of Washington County, is a unique camping and retreat facility that strives to enrich the lives of people with special needs. The 206-acre camp site purchased in 1996 was once part of a working ranch and features more than 100,000 square feet of facilities, two lakes, nature trails, wooded areas and cleared areas for activities such as horseback riding and field sports. For more information, please visit www.campforall.org.
Dates And Locations:
- Camp Knutson – Teen Camp Crosslake, MN July 5-10,2009
- Camp Knutson – Junior Camp Crosslake, MN July 11-17, 2009
- Camp Dermadillo Burton, TX August 9-14,2009
- Camp Horizon Millville, PA August 15-22,2009
For More Information:
American Academy of Dermatology
930 E Woodfield Road
Schaumburg, IL 60173