“Coaches Corner” – Become Empowered
Having a rare disease like pemphigus or pemphigoid can make you feel like you have lost control of your life. After being diagnosed you may experience fear, confusion, and you may feel unclear about your future. You may even feel helpless, vulnerable, and at the mercy of others. Your self- esteem may be compromised along with your immune system. The anxiety or stress that can bring may be overwhelming. The good news is that these feelings are normal and more importantly that you truly do have the power to stay in control!
Here are a few tips on how to keep calm and stay in control:
1. Offer help to others – this will help you keep your disease in perspective
2. Find the “silver-lining,” in every situation – there is always something positive to gain
3. Respect and accept that you can’t control everything – the sooner you realize this, the better!
4. Don’t be a victim, be a contender!
5. Be proud of yourself – every day is a step in the right direction
6. Learn about your disease – knowledge is power
7. Be self-determined – you are the master of your fate
8. Speak up for yourself – being heard builds affirmation
9. Consider how your disease will help you grow as an individual
10. Don’t be afraid to ask for help and support!
You are not in this alone and there are many patients that are experiencing the struggles that you are going through. If you reach out to others through the IPPF you will find that you really are in control and together with other patients like you we have the power to overcome this disease.
Not sure how to connect with others? Just “Ask a Coach!” Remember, when you need us, we are in your corner!