A Patient’s Journey toward a Pemphigus Vulgaris Diagnosis
Watch Becky Strong describe her emotional journey towards obtaining a pemphigus vulgaris diagnosis. This honest portrayal of a patient’s search for answers emphasizes the importance of awareness and early diagnosis. Unfortunately, many patients share Becky’s experience.
PV/MMP: A Clinical Overview for Dental Students and Professionals
Dr. David Sirois, DMD, PhD provides an overview of PV/MMP. The presentation includes: Key Symptoms to Recognize; Differential Diagnosis; Performing a Biopsy; Treatment; and Oral Complications. This video serves as a supplement to what is already being taught on PV/MMP in the current dental school curriculum, as well as a refresher for dental professionals in practice.
Print materials can be downloaded below. Materials are also available upon request by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Biopsies Save Lives
This diagnostic tool provides 4 key questions a dentist can ask their patient to determine if a P/P diagnosis should be considered. It encourages dental professionals to recognize P/P symptoms as early as possible. Download
This brochure provides dental professionals and students with an overview of the IPPF Awareness Program. It includes information on continuing education opportunities, IPPF services, and Patient Educator lectures. Download
Continuing Education postcard
This postcard includes information about IPPF patient and/or scientific presentations at dental meetings, conferences, lectures, or events. It also provides course learning objectives, as well as contact information. Download
Patient Education postcard
This postcard includes information about IPPF Patient Educators and their role in sharing diagnosis stories with students at U.S. dental schools. It also provides information on presentation format, as well as links to more information. Download
Sponsorship/Giving Opportunities postcard
This postcard includes information about IPPF sponsorship and giving opportunities. It outlines various ways to get involved, as well as contact information. Download
- “The Patient Educator Presentation in Dental Education: Reinforcing the Importance of Learning About Rare Conditions” Journal of Dental Education, Volume 80, Number 5 (May 2016)
- “Oral Pemphigus and Pemphigoid: The Role of the Dental Hygienist” American Dental Hygienists’ Association’s Access Magazine (April 2014)
- Carolyn J. Kushner, MD; Shiyu Wang, MS; Napatra Tovanabutra, MD; Donald E. Tsai, MD, PhD; Victoria P. Werth, MD; Aimee S. Payne, MD,PhD, Factors Associated With Complete Remission After Rituximab Therapy for Pemphigus, JAMADermatol.doi:10.1001/jamadermatol.2019, 32-36 Published online October 23, 2019 Download
- Joost M. Meijer, MD, PhD; Gilles F.H. Diercks, MD, PhD; Emma W.G. deLang, MD; Hendri H. Pas,PhD; Marcel F. Jonkman, MD, PhD, Assessment of Diagnostic Strategy for Early Recognition of Bullous and Non bullous Variants of Pemphigoid, JAMADermatol.doi:10.1001/jamadermatol.2018.43-90 Published online January 9,2019 Download
- Stefan Beissert, MD; Thomas Werfel, MD; Uta Frieling, MD; Markus Böhm, MD; Michael Sticherling, MD; Rudolf Stadler, MD; Detlef Zillikens, MD; Berthold Rzany, MD; Nicolas Hunzelmann, MD; Michael Meurer, MD; Harald Gollnick, MD; Thomas Ruzicka, MD; Hans Pillekamp, MD; Volker Junghans, MD; Gisela Bonsmann, MD; Thomas A. Luger, MD, A Comparison of Oral Methylprednisolone Plus Azathioprine or Mycophenolate Mofetil for the Treatment of Bullous Pemphigoid, Arch Dermatol. 2007;143(12):1536-1542. doi:10.1001/archderm.143.12.1536. Download
- S. Jolles, A review of high-dose intravenous immunoglobulin (hdIVIg) in the treatment of the autoimmune blistering disorders, National Institute for Medical Research, Division of Cellular Immunology, Mill Hill, UK Download
- Pascal Joly, M.D., Ph.D., Hugo Mouquet, Ph.D., Jean-Claude Roujeau, M.D., Michel D’incan, M.D., Ph.D., Daniele Gilbert, Ph.D., Serge Jacquot, M.D., Ph.D Marie-Lise Gougeon, Ph.D., Christophe Bedane, M.D., Ph.D., Ralf Muller, Ph.D., Brigitte Dreno, M.D Ph.D., Marie-Sylvie Doutre, M.D., Ph.D., Emmanuel Delaporte, M.D., Ph.D., Christine Pauwels, M.D Nathalie Franck, M.D., Frederic Caux, M.D., Ph.D Catherine Picard, M.D., Ph.D., Emmanuelle Tancrede-Bohin, M.D., Philippe Bernard, M.D., Ph.D., Francois Tran, M.D., Ph.D., Michael Hertl, M.D., Ph.D., and Philippe Musette, M.D., Ph.D., A Single Cycle of Rituximab for the Treatment of Severe Pemphigus, N Engl J Med 2007;357:545-52. Download
- Z. Ren,1 D. Hsu,1 J. Brieva1 and J. I. Silverberg1,2,3 Departments of 1Dermatology; 2Preventive Medicine; and 3Medical Social Sciences, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, USA, Association between climate, pollution and hospitalization for pemphigus in the USA, Clinical and Experimental Dermatology, doi:10.1111/ced.13650 Download
- Siegel Ma. Intraoral biopsy techniques for direct immunofluorescence studies. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1991; 72:681-684.
- Daniels TE, Quadra-White C. Direct immunofluorescence in oral mucosal disease: A diagnostic analysis of 130 cases. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1981; 51:38-47.
- Casiglia J, Woo SB, Ahmed AR. Oral involvement in autoimmune blistering diseases. Clin Dermatol 2001; 19:737-747.
- Endo H, Rees TD, Allen EP, Kuyama K, Aoki S, Yamamoto H, Ito T. A stab-and-roll biopsy technique to maintain gingival epithelium for desquamative gingivitis. J Periodontol 2014; 85:802-809.
- Sano SM, Quarracino MC, Aquas SC et al. Sensitivity of direct immunofluorescence in oral diseases. Study of 125 cases. Med Oral Pathol Oral Cir Bucal 2008; 13:E287-E291.
- Mutasim DF, Adams BB. Immunofluorescence in dermatology. J Am Acad Dermatol 2001; 45:803-822.
- Suresh L, Neiders ME. Definitive or differential diagnosis of desquamative gingivitis through direct immunofluorescence studies. J Periodontal 2012; 83: 1270-1275.
- Eisen D. The oral mucosal punch biopsy. A report of 140 cases. Arch Dermatol 1992; 128:815-817.
- Seoane J, Varela-Centelles PI, Limeres-Posse J, Seoane-Romero JM. A punch technique for gingival incisional biopsy. Laryngoscope 2013; 123:398.